Parent Link Centres
Families Matter is home to a Parent Link Centre that is funded by Alberta Human Services. At our centre we provide universal programs (free of charge) to meet the needs of all types of parents and caregivers.
At our Bowcroft PLC we deliver:
- Early Childhood Development:
- play based learning activities for parents and children, including drop-in, infant programs and kindergarten readiness programs
- Parent Education:
- formal and informal workshops and seminars including Terrific Toddlers, How to Talk so Kids Will Listen, and single session topics
- the Triple P- Positive Parenting Program © (see below for further information)
- Family Support:
- formal and informal activities to build on parents strengths;
- parents meeting other parents to increase capacity
- opportunities to talk to staff about practical tips and information to support and strengthen their skills and confidence in parenting
- an opportunity to gain skills and strategies for dealing positively with development and behavioural concerns
- A chance to connect with other parents and caregivers in the community by attending drop-ins, programs and other special events and multi-cultural celebrations
- Information and Referrals:
- connecting parents with programs, tools,and resources of the Parent Link and other agencies, that can help them raise strong, healthy, well-adjusted children
- Developmental Screening:
- the ages and stages questionnaire helping parents learn what to expect from their child, when to get help, and where the best place is to get help for their situation
Want to take a peek at the fun?
Watch this video to see what our centres are all about.
Bowness Parent Link Centre - Opening September 18th
3rd Floor, 7930 Bowness Road N.W. (above the Old Bowness Library)
What is Triple P? The Triple P – Positive Parenting Program is one of the world's most effective parenting programs. It gives parents the skills they need to raise confident, healthy children, and to build stronger family relationships. It also helps parents manage misbehaviour and prevent problems occurring in the first place.
With more than 30 years of ongoing research, Triple P has been scientifically trialled with thousands of families around the world and been found to work – regardless of culture, country or individual situation. Triple P has helped more than six million children and their families in more than 20 countries around the world.
Children don't come with an instruction manual so when it comes to parenting, how do you know what's best and what works? The Alberta Government is helping to take the guesswork out of parenting, by supporting parents and caregivers throughout the province with the Triple P – Positive Parenting Program.
For more information on our upcoming Triple P classes, call 403 205 5178.